Lung Cancer Connection donates funds to support lung cancer-related education and research projects, particularly in the St. Louis area.
In 2017 LCC donated $40,000 in grants:
- $35,000 was donated to Dr. Ramaswamy Govindan for continued lung cancer research.
- $5,000 was donated to The Cancer Support Community of St. Louis to underwrite a monthly lung cancer support group in Des Peres, MO.
In 2016 LCC donated $60,000 in grants:
- $25,000 was provided to support early at area hospitals including SSM, St. Lukes, and Missouri Baptist. These grants funded early detection CT scans, a process that continues to save lives
- $25,000 was donated to Dr. Ramaswamy Govindan for continued lung cancer research.
- $10,000 was donated to the Cancer Support Community of Greater St. Louis to underwrite two monthly Lung Cancer support group. One located at the Des Peres location and a new, second group at Christian NE Hospital.
Previous grants included:
- In 2013, LCC awarded $25,000 to Dr. Ramaswamy Govindan of Washington University to study small cell lung cancer. His results were published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
- In 2012, LCC awarded a $5,000 grant to the SSM St. Joseph Foundation to fund 50 free lung cancer screenings for high risk individuals at the SSM St. Joseph hospitals in St. Charles County, who are either uninsured or cannot afford to pay for the screening themselves. Click here to see letters from both the St. Joseph Foundation and the Cancer Support Community thanking LCC for our support.
- Since 2011, LCC has made an annual donations to the Cancer Support Community of Greater St. Louis to underwrite a monthly Lung Cancer support group.
- In 2010, LCC awarded its very first grant to the St. Louis University Cancer Center. The $3,000 donation was used to help complete a study that compared the effectiveness of surgery versus radiotherapeutic treatment in patients with early stage non-small cell lung cancer.